4.22.2009

Earth Day


I was going to title the post "Happy Earth Day", but this Earth Day I'm feeling more concerned than happy. I see people (myself included) making small and large changes to reduce their own environmental impact, but I don't think it's enough. I think that our impact on the environment is both personal and political and it is motivated by another kind of green: money. If I keep going, I will get into a funk, so changing gears...

I was doing a little research and came across the term "bright green" environmentalist. Looked it up on Wikipeida (of course). What color green are you?

Earth Day always reminds me of my days at UC Davis when Earth Day was celebrated with the Whole Earth Festival... think patchouli, flowing patchwork dresses, funky arts and crafts, etc. One year Kelsey and I were on the Karma Patrol; our mission: non-violent crowd control. We saw Big Brother and the Holding Company perform and their speakers were powered by a HEC (Human Energy Converter), a big hay filled wagon filled with sets of bike pedals. Sit in the wagon, pedal away, listen to music. It was fun. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that in Augusta...

4 comments:

RGW said...

I would like to be a "Bright Green", but probably fall more into the "Light Green" spectrum at this point in my life. I'd never heard these terms before - thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Earth Day during college at Humboldt State was always great also.

kp said...

My Whole Earth Festival memories are limited to seeing the band Lawsuit and the delicious Indian Fry Bread.

Picnic Day was last weekend too...aww.

Nicola said...

i will have to check what shade of green i am! i was happy, because i think more people are more aware of making changes, and despite the reasoning, awareness is a good thing.