1.29.2009

Updike

John Updike died on Monday of lung cancer at age 76.

He is one of my writer heroes. After studying his short stories in Am Lit at UC Davis, I was drawn in. His prose was eloquent, genuine, and exceedingly comprehensible. He could describe the ordinary in a genteel and witty style.

Sadly, I haven't read any of his novels. The good news is that he was so prolific, I have a lot of novels to choose from. As soon as I finish this Grisham book, I'll pick one up.

Any Updike recommendations?

2 comments:

BookyG said...

Grisham to Updike - nice. The Rabbit Run series is famous, but I've never read a novel in it.

PleaseRecycle said...

They are both prolific! I am an equal opportunity reader. And honestly, I just read the Grisham because it was laying around the house.

I am much more of a short story person... having kids makes reading time precious.