4.24.2008

Food

My Russian coworkers though this news story, about Sam's Club imposing limits on the amount of rice customers can purchase, was a joke. They remember food shortages in Moscow in the early 1990's due to the collapsing infrastructure after the fall of the Soviet Union. They said they never believed they would see this in the United States.

I think the current run on rice is not based on a true shortage, but rather an attempt, by some consumers, to beat inflation. However, if speculation and fear can cause a shortage of food staples, even when the supply is sufficient, what will happen during the next "Katrina" ?

We all will face major challenges in the coming years and I think things like this are a little glimpse into what is coming. I fear for my little girls and the kind of world they will grow up in.

No comments: